The Green Operations Award is an annual award presented by GO Group and Yourope at the European Festival Awards.
The short lists for the European Festival Awards has been announced on Mon 9th of December. While categories from best small to major festivals, anthem of the year or best line-up have been selected by a combination of public choice and jury vote; the Green Operations Award’s nominees and winner are chosen by an independent jury of experts including a representative of last year’s winner We Love Green Festival (FRA).
Jury member Jacob Bilabel (Go Group co-founder / Green Music Initiative): “This year’s Green Operations Award shortlist should have been much longer with so many innovative trailblazers from all over Europe making it hard not to award all of them for doing things smarter and greener. The chosen festivals represent state of the art approaches to the most pressing issues in live entertainment for others to follow.”
Okay, everybody, let’s GO! The shortlist for the Green Operations Award 2013 – with some quotes from the jury discussion:
- Bestival (UK) – “They began a big change, they lauch severals actions always with humor and joyfull spirit. Little by little they will change the green logistic of their festival.”
- Fusion (GER) – “Sustainability’s best kept secret. Doing things smarter and greener from their early days on without calling it that way … putting so much effort and love into their productions … clearly leading the way in thinking behind green.”
- Rock For People (CZ) – “…being one of the most important festivals in the eastern countries it is a true spearhead for the area. Exceptional is the waste management system and social awareness.”
- Shambala Festival (UK) – “Shambala is a great example in so many fields of action. They are good people with a great vibe and a big will to share and learn. The awareness of the organisation team and the audience alike is incredibly high. They are doing simply good.”
- Tollwood Festival (GER) – “Tollwood is a giant. Being a month long urban cultural experience with two editions (summer and winter) it differs from the weekenders and uses its circumstances exceptionally. Know-how and awareness are on a top level.”
- Way Out West (SWE) – “The festival is presenting a terrific sustainability approach on a triple bottom line. Absolutely remarkable: 2nd year WOW was a 100% vegetarian festival.”
The winner will be announced and presented by Yourope’s anchorman for green issues and GO Award coordinater Holger Jan Schmidt at the European Festival Awards gala, which is the highlight of the opening night of the Eurosonic Noorderslag conference and showcase in Groningen, Netherlands on Wednesday 15th January 2014. The event features a three course gourmet dinner, drink reception and after show party. It is a unique opportunity to celebrate with the leaders of Europe’s festival industry.
The shortlists of all EFA Awards are announced here.